Who am I?

Since this is my first blog, I figured I would start by introducing who I am. My name is Cash Thompson. I am from a small town called Lake Odessa. I am 21 years old and I am a college student at ONU. I don't remember much from when I was way younger, the earliest I can recall is elementary school. Back then, I was known as "the fat kid". I was shy and I was as wide around as I was tall. I was nice so everyone liked me, but I was picked on a lot.

Fast forward a bit to middle school, I tried changing a little bit and lost some weight. I began to focus more on sports like football and wrestling. I also found out that I absolutely love video games. Video games also at the time helped me open up. I didn't have to be shy anymore and it was nice for me.

High school finally came around I decided to try to make a name for myself. I was finally skinny for the first time in my life, I was still as shy as ever and only talked to close friends, but I wanted to stand out. I was known as one of those typical "athletic" kids. I played soccer and wrestling throughout high school and started on varsity for both. Eventually, in my Junior year I decided to quit pretty much everything that was going on in my life and focus on wrestling. I quit soccer, I quit playing video games, I quit having a social life with friends. I only wrestled.
My daily schedule my Junior year included:

  • Wake up and wrestle for an hour
  • Go to morning classes
  • Wrestle during lunch
  • Go to afternoon classes
  • Go to actual practice and wrestle
  • Practice for an extra hour after practice
  • Head home and do homework
  • Get some sleep
As you can see my life consisted of only school and wrestling. Lucky for me it did pay off. My Junior year I won a state title and it is one of my proudest accomplishments. Overall I wasn't happy with my life even after winning a title. I do love wrestling but I also enjoyed hanging out with friends and playing video games. Senior year I made a small effort to fit in the rest but it definitely wasn't enough. Later in the year I lost in the state finals. Now I really felt like my life was a mess. I put all this time in and I still lost. 

Shortly after, I was recruited to ONU to wrestle and fell in love. Once I figured out for sure I was going to ONU I made sure to focus on what makes me happy rather than just an image I wanted to become. I have embraced that deep down I'm a geek. I play video games every night during the week for hours on end. I built a PC last summer and now have a gaming set up that takes up half of my room. On the weekends I hang out with friends and also have wrestling tournaments. I still take wrestling seriously, it's just not my only priority. I have found a balance that keeps me truly happy with who I am. My friends back home still look at me as the super athlete that doesn't do anything but practice, slowly but surely though some of them are starting to see the change in me. They are starting to see I'm just a shy athletic geek.

Comments

Popular Posts